Home Staging Consultation – Updating a Silverlake Cottage Kitchen Inexpensively
I recently did a home staging consultation on a Los Angeles Silverlake Cottage that was about to go on the market.
The kitchen had the original sink, faucet, tile counter & cabinets. The homeowner didn’t have the time or funds to do a complete overhaul, just the basics so the house could be put on the market quickly.
Now here’s the “after make-over” photo:
The lightly remodeled kitchen still maintains the original cottage kitchen charm, but yet is updated and even more charming.
My recommendations as part of the home staging consultation:
- Paint the cabinets & walls
- Replace the tile countertop with new tile. The original tile backsplash was still in good condition so it stayed.
- Replace the old (and chipped) porcelain sink with stainless steel
- Replace all the cabinet hardware
- Remove the doors on the cabinet over the sink and turn it into an open shelf for displaying the owner’s pottery collection
- Declutter the pots and pans storage shelves
- Declutter the countertops
- Clean out and organize all cabinets
- Declutter and paint the laundry room and pantry area (off to the left)
The homeowners did all the work themselves. The cost was minimal (under $500) and the kitchen looked adorable. The house went on the market and has received multiple offers over asking price one week after the first open house!
The homeowner knew the kitchen needed to be refreshed before they could put the house on the market but didn’t know where to start or how far to go. They were considering investing in new appliances and granite countertops which would have added considerable expense. By hiring Moving Mountains Design for a home staging consultation, they were able to cut the cost and maximize the impact for money spent.
The cost of a home staging consultation is $350 for most homes. This home owner saved upwards of $5,000, for planned but unnecessary upgrades, by paying for a home staging consultation.
I’d say it was worth it. Don’t you agree?